- Infant mortality rate takes a marginal dip in Rajasthan
- Sample Registration System (SRS) Bulletin 2016 report issued by the Centre in September shows that infant mortality rate in the state remained at 41 deaths per 1,000 live births. Comparing it with SRS 2015 figures, the state reported decline of two infant deaths per 1,000 live births.
- In five years (from 2012 to 2016), the IMR in the state has decreased from 49 to 41 deaths per 1,000 live births.
- A drop in the infant mortality rate (IMR) is a welcome development for Rajasthan.
- Rajasthan is among the five states with an IMR higher than 40. Of these, Madhya Pradesh (IMR 47), Assam (44) and Uttar Pradesh (43) have recorded a drop of three points while Odisha (44) and Rajasthan (41) have recorded a drop of only two. The infant mortality rate nationally is 34 per 1,000 babies, which the centre hopes to bring down to 28 in the next two years. IMR in states like Kerala and Tamil Nadu stands at 10 and 17 respectively.
- International Day of Older Persons: October 1
- The International Day of Older Persons is observed on October 1 each year.
- On December 14, 1990 the United Nations General Assembly voted to establish October 1 as the International Day of Older Persons as recorded in Resolution 45/106.
- The day was observed for the first time on October 1, 1991.
- The theme of the International Day of Older Persons 2017 is “Stepping into the Future: Tapping the Talents, Contributions and Participation of Older Persons in Society.”
- UAE begins collecting ‘sin’ taxes on tobacco, energy drinks
- The United Arab Emirates has begun collecting new “sin” taxes on tobacco products, energy drinks and soft drinks.
- Tobacco and energy drinks will be taxed at 100 percent and soft drinks at 50 percent.
The new tax push comes as the UAE and other oil-rich Gulf nations have struggled with low global energy prices.
- India opens two border crossing points with Myanmar, Bangladesh
- India has opened two immigration check posts along the borders with Myanmar and Bangladesh, a reflection of its growing closeness with the two eastern neighbours.
- The home ministry said the central government has designated Zorinpui land check post in Lawngtlai district of Mizoram as an authorised immigration check post for entry into or exit from India with valid travel documents for all classes of passengers to or from Myanmar.
- In a separate notification, the ministry said the central government designated Kawrpuichhuah land check post in Lunglei district of Mizoram as an authorised immigration check post for entry into or exit from India with valid travel documents for all classes of passengers to or from Bangladesh.
- President Kovind inaugurates Shirdi Airport
- President Ram Nath Kovind inaugurated the swank new Shirdi Airport in Ahmednagar and the inaugural Alliance Air commercial flight to Mumbai.
- The inauguration of the airport, developed by Maharashtra Airport Development Corporation (MADC), also marks the start of the year-long centenary celebrations of Shri Saibaba Samadhi for which over 11 million pilgrims are expected from around the world.
- The small town in western Maharashtra is a world-famous pilgrim spot for the ‘samadhi’ temple of a 20th century saint, known as Saibaba, who is revered by all communities.
- MCI to give Unique Permanent Registration Number to all doctors
- The Medical Council of India has written to the country’s largest body of doctors to help digitise India’s registry of doctors through a unique registration number similar to AADHAAR as part of its ongoing e-governance initiative.
- The move is expected to help doctors practice in different States without seeking different licences across borders.
- Bhopal set to become first state capital to get trans toilet
- Over five months after the union government asked all states to allow transgender people to use any public toilet of their choice, Bhopal is set to become the first state capital to come up with an exclusive toilet for the transgender community.
- It will be inaugurated by Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan.
- In April this year, the union ministry of drinking water and sanitation had issued guidelines to state governments to put in efforts to make people from the transgender community feel as equal citizens.
- Meenakshi temple wins swachh award
- The Sri Meenakshi Sundareswarar Temple in Madurai has been adjudged the cleanest iconic place in the country under Swachhta Hi Seva (cleanliness is service) programme.
- The temple earned the top slot from among 10 iconic places selected under the Swachh Bharath Mission in the country.
- Dedicated to Meenakshi, an incarnation of Parvati, and her consort Sundareswar, an incarnation of Shiva, the temple was adjudged the Best Swachh Iconic Place from a formidable list of contenders that included the Taj Mahal, Ajmer Sharif Dargah, the Golden Temple, Tirupathi temple and Sri Vaishno Devi temple.