A tropical deciduous forest would grow in a place that is warm all year and the trees would lose their leaves at some point every year.
Main characteristics of tropical deciduous forests are:
- These are the most wide spread forests of India.
- They are also known as the monsoon forests.
- They spread over areas of annual rainfall ranging between 200 cm and 70 cm.
- Trees of these forests shed their leaves for about six to eight weeks in dry season.
- Every species has its own time of shedding leaves. Therefore, the forest does not appear leafless at any time of the year.
- These forests are further divided into moist and dry deciduous on the basis of precipitation.