- Districts told to set up migratory hostels for poor children
- State education department has directed district education officers to felicitate seasonal or migratory hostels for students of Class-I to Class-VIII in the age group of 6-14 whose parents migrate to other cities for work during winter season.
- The specialised hostels are meant for economically poor families, mostly farmers and labourers whose children drop out as they migrate to other cities for livelihood purposes. The move is intended to bring down drop-out rate which rises sharply in the winters.
- The hostels will run from October to March in schools, community centres or a place provided by the local community, administration or panchayat.
- Students will be selected through verification or background check by the education officers. They have to determine the educational qualification of the family, means of their livelihood, economic condition, etc.
- A minimum of 25 students are required to run these hostels while the maximum limit is 49 students.
- Temporary hostels will provide meals which will come from mid-day meal programme along with breakfast and dinner is provided at the hostel. A detailed timetable has been prepared for the students.
- Iceland Becomes First Country to Enforce Equal Pay Laws
- Iceland has become the first country in the world to legalize equal pay, charting a new history.
- Under the new law, companies and government agencies that employ at least 25 people will be fined if they can’t prove they pay men and women equally.
- Iceland has been ranked by the World Economic Forum (WEF) as No. 1 in gender equality for the past nine years.
· India Excludes Pakistan from a SAARC Initiative
- India excluded Pakistan from the list of SAARC member countries with which it will be connecting its state-of-the-art National Knowledge Network (NKN) for sharing scientific databases and remote access to advanced research facilities.
- The government has kicked off the process of appointing a telecom company that will connect and extend the NKN to research and education networks in six South Asian Association of Regional Cooperation member states — Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, Maldives, Nepal and Sri Lanka.
· World’s Biggest Cleanliness Survey ‘Swachh Sarvekshan 2018’ Launched
- The world’s biggest cleanliness survey ‘Swachh Sarvekshan Survey 2018’was launched in India by PM Narendra Modi.
- It will be conducted from the 4th of January to 10th of March. The survey will evaluate achievements in cleanliness level of urban areas.
- The cleanliness survey was launched in 2016 as part of the Swachh Bharat Mission.
- The main objective of Swachh Survekshan is to encourage large-scale citizen participation and create awareness towards making towns and cities a cleaner and better place to live in.
- GOI announces launch of 7.75% Savings (Taxable) Bonds, 2018
- Government of India has announced to launch of 7.75% Savings (Taxable) Bonds, 2018 commencing from 10th January 2018 to enable resident citizens/HUF to invest in a taxable bond, without any monetary ceiling.
- The Bonds are open to investment by individuals (including Joint Holdings) and Hindu Undivided Families. NRIs are not eligible for making investments in these Bonds.
- The Bonds will be issued for a minimum amount of Rs.1,000/- (face value) and in multiples thereof. Accordingly, the issue price, will be Rs.1,000/- for every Rs.1,000/- (Nominal).
- There will be no maximum limit for investment in the Bonds.
- The Bonds will have a maturity of 7 years carrying interest at 7.75% per annum payable half- yearly. The cumulative value of Rs. 1,000/- at the end of seven years will be Rs. 1,703.
· BSF launches Operation Alert on JK International Border to curb infiltration
- TheBorder Security Force (BSF) immediately after destroying 2 Pakistani posts in retaliation to unprovoked firing from Pakistani Rangers, launched “Operation Alert” along the over 200 kilometers long International Border (IB) in Jammu and Kashmir to curb the infiltration from across the border.
- The was followed by automatic weapon fire. After getting intimation the neighboring mounts retaliated back and a solid response was given by the BSF in which Pakistan has suffered large human and property loss.
The Indian forces crossed the LoC and entered in Rakhchikri area of Poonch of Pakistan-occupied Kashmir and fired heavily upon the Pakistani army posts and killed three troopers of the neighboring country.
· Goa to Host 3rd Edition of Science Film Festival
- Goa will be hosting the third edition of the Science Film Festival of India in January 2018.
- The festival, titled SCI-FFI Goa, is being organized by the state-based Vidnyan Parishad, Goa Department of Science and Technology.
- The competition aims to boost the culture of science films, all the films submitted should be related to science and technology.
· Defence Ministry clears Rs.2420 Crore worth contracts for Navy, Army
- The Union Ministry of Defence (MoD)approved procurement of P-8I Training Solution for Indian Navy and Low-Intensity Conflict Electronic Warfare System (LICEWS) for Indian Army at a total cost of Rs 2419.32 crore.
- These contract proposals were earlier cleared by Defence Acquisition Council (DAC) and now final approval has now been given by Defence Minister Nirmala Sitharaman.
- This system will be procured from Bharat Electronics Limited for Rs. 470 crore. It will equip Indian Army with upgraded communications infrastructure.
· Health Ministry and Tata Memorial Centre Launches India’s First Digital Online Oncology Tutorial
- Smt Preeti Sudan, Secretary (Health and Family Welfare) launched the country’s first digital Online Oncology Tutorial Series designed by the Tata Memorial Center in collaboration with the Health Ministry.
- The oncology tutorial series aims to train the doctors across the country to educate them in early detection, prevention, palliation, rehabilitation and treatment of various cancers.
Gk bit – Oncology
- The term oncology literally means a branch of science that deals with tumours and The word “onco” means bulk, mass, or tumor while “-logy” means study.
- The field of oncology has three major areas: medical, surgical, and radiation
- A medical oncologisttreats cancer using chemotherapy or other medications, such as targeted therapy
- A surgical oncologistremoves the tumor and nearby tissue during an operation. He or she also performs certain types of biopsies.
- A radiation oncologisttreats cancer using radiation therapy.
- Meghalaya signs host city contract for 39th National Games in 2022
- Meghalaya signed the Host City Contract with the Indian Olympic Association (IOA) for hosting the 39th National Games in 2022.
- The tripartite contract was signed between the IOA, the Meghalaya State Olympic Association, and the state government.
- Meghalaya had made the bid to host the 39th National Games after successfully co-hosting the South Asian Games in 2017.